Arrochar Pier Argyll Scotland ebbing tide revealing the pilings from this abandoned pier that is situated at the head of Loch Long. The mountains in the background are part of the Arrochar Alps. The rock formation at the left side of the photo is referred to as The Cobbler. Arrochar pier was built in 1850 to service the steamers that plied the Clyde and the nearby lochs. The 'Three Lochs tour' was particularly popular, whereby steamers would visit Loch Goil and Loch Long, depositing passengers at Arrochar. They would then be taken across to nearby Tarbet by coach, before embarking on another steamer to sail the length of Loch Lomond.